Key Golston Shot Carries Marlins to OT Victory

Tyree Golston forced overtime with a three-pointer with 1.7 seconds left. Photo by: Jim Auer
Tyree Golston forced overtime with a three-pointer with 1.7 seconds left. Photo by: Jim Auer

Key Golston Shot Carries Marlins to OT Victory

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. -- Freshman Tyree Golston connected on a three-pointer with four seconds left in regulation to force overtime in the 86-79 Virginia Wesleyan victory over Johnson & Wales (RI) on Saturday afternoon.

The two squads were tied at 41 at halftime and continued to go back and forth through the first 10 minutes of the second half. The Marlins started to gain a slim foothold on the lead when Lamont Steward found Golston for a three-pointer to go up 57-54.

Matt Madoian answered with a jumper at 12:19 to cut the deficit to one. Khalil Barnette quickly responded with a three-pointer for a four-point lead, the largest margin for VWU since 26-22 in the first half.

The Marlins held a 63-58 lead with 10 minutes to play when Madoian drove the lane, converting on a jump to cut the deficit to one possession. A quick turnover resulted in another basket as Brian Hogan-Gary scored a layup. A free throw by Jarell Lawson erased the lead and evened the score at 63.

Keijon Honore put the Marlins back in front with a three-pointer on the next possession, but Lawson answered with a trifecta on the other end. Lawson was a huge part of the Wildcat upset bid, scoring nine of his 27 points in the second half.

Neither team gained more than a two-point lead until the final minute. With the squads tied, Madoian again made it into the paint, connecting on another short jumper for a 74-72 JWU lead with 1:07 to play.

The Marlins drew a contested layup on the return trip up the floor, but the Wildcats were able to turn the hosts away. An offensive foul put the ball back in the hands of VWU with 31 seconds to play.

Virginia Wesleyan worked the ball in close to Corey White, Jr. who drew the foul from Hogan-Gary with 11 seconds to play. He could not convert at the stripe as the Wildcats pulled down the rebound looking to close out the game. Steward fouled Jamari Johnson with seven seconds to play. Johnson made one of two at the line to give VWU one last chance.

Steward grabbed the rebound off the missed free throw, kicking it up court. Golston rose up from the far side of the court, knocking down a three-pointer with 1.7 seconds left to play. The Wildcats took a shot from midcourt that was blocked away by Honore as the horn sounded.

The Marlins stepped up the intensity in the overtime period as Golston found Steward for a dunk just 14 seconds into the extra session. Three points from Honore and a Steward jumper put the Marlins up 82-75 with less than a minute to play.

Johnson & Wales finally got on the board with 38 seconds to go as Lawson made a layup. The Marlins finished off the game by making four of six at the line to ice the contest.

Hogan-Gary joined Lawson in double-figures for Johnson & Wales (0-1) with 19 points to go with 10 rebounds. Madoian contributed 10 points.

Honore led the Marlins with 25 points and five assists as Steward added 19 points and eight rebounds. Golston contributed 14 points and four assists off the bench as Barnette registered 12 points, four rebounds, three assists, and three steals.

Virginia Wesleyan (2-0) travels to Salisbury University (2-0) Tuesday for a 7:30 p.m. non-conference start.