VIRGINIA BEACH -- A standout effort in doubles highlighted Sunday competition for the Virginia Wesleyan College women's tennis Marlins, but it was not enough to record a victory.
Sweet Briar College's Vixens came back in singles to notch a 5-4 Old Dominion Athletic Conference win at the Everett Tennis Center.
"Certainly it is disappointing not winning the match after sweeping the doubles," said VWC head tennis coach Darryl Cummings, "but, I believe we overachieved in our doubles. There were some very competitive singles matches and we had significant opportunities to earn the 5th point of the match. But, give credit to Sweet Briar for continuing to fight."
The Marlins swept doubles, highlighted by an 8-1 decision at the No. 2 flight by rookie Marisa Cifuentes (Virginia Beach/Bayside) and junior Hannah Rice (Glen Allen/J.R. Tucker)over Ashley Fletcher (Durham, N.C./North Raleigh Christian Academy) and Gina Rutledge (Germanton, N.C./South Stokes).
It was the second win of the day for Cifuentes. She posted a 6-0, 6-1 win over Allie Raifsnide (Concord, N.C./Jay M. Robinson) at the No. 3 spot in singles.
"Marissa Cifuentes continues to impress me with her fight and determination," said Cummings. "She is a "Rocky" kind of player and is resilient in how she rebounds for the next point while focusing on playing in the present. Marissa's ability to overachieve with her performances is a role model for our team."
Virginia Wesleyan competes again on Friday, March 7, hosting Guilford College at 2:30 p.m. in another ODAC match.
1. Proctor/Parent (VWC) d. Bowman/Delams (SBC) 9-8
2. Cifuentes/Rice (VWC) d. Fletcher/Rutledge (SBC) 8-1
3. Nguyen/Charity (VWC) d. Rifsnider/Kirland (SBC) 8-5
1. Caitlin Delmas (SBC) d. Mia Proctor (VWC) 6-1,6-1
2. Glory Bowman (SBC) d. Hannah Parent (VWC) 7-5,7-5
3. Marissa Cifuentes (VWC) d. Allie Raifsnide (SBC) 6-0,6-1
4. Gina Rutledge (SBC) d. Hannah Rice (VWC) 6-1,7-5
5. Ashley Fletcher (SBC) d. Lisa Nguyen (VWC) 6-4,7-5
6. Megan Johnston (SBC) d. Sydney Charity (VWC) 4-6,6-2,6-4