Women's Soccer Locks Up Second Place with 1-0 Win
VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. -- The Virginia Wesleyan College women's soccer team completed an unbeaten Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) schedule on Saturday, defeating Shenandoah University 1-0 to lock up second place in the ODAC standings.
The Marlins, tied with Shenandoah for second place coming into Saturday's action, hold the spot outright after defeating the Hornets. Virginia Wesleyan will host an ODAC quarterfinal on Wednesday against an opponent yet to be determined.
Both teams had scoring opportunities in the first half as the first six shots of the contest (four by the Marlins and two by the Hornets), but both goalies kept the scoreboard blank.
The Marlins held a 5-3 edge in shots in the first half while Shenandoah attempted the lone corner of the half.
Virginia Wesleyan broke through for the lone score of the contest at 56:05 when Annie Hartman crossed it through the box to Marli Hayward. The freshman forward tapped it underneath the keeper and into the back of the net for the game winner.
Erin Septer finished with six saves for Shenandoah (13-6/7-3) while Taylor Chapman stopped two shots for the Marlins.
VWC held a 9-4 edge in shots and 4-3 lead in corner kicks.
Virginia Wesleyan (10-4-3/7-0-3) will play the winner of the first round play-in game in a quarterfinal Wednesday.
ODAC Tournament Quarterfinal Seedings
1. Washington and Lee (vs. winner of Eastern Mennonite and Randolph)
2. Virginia Wesleyan (vs. winner of Randolph-Macon and Guilford)
3. Lynchburg (vs. Bridgewater)
4. Shenandoah (vs. Roanoke)
5. Roanoke (at Shenandoah)
6. Bridgewater (at Lynchburg)
7. Randolph-Macon (vs. Guilford - first round)
8. Eastern Mennonite (vs. Randolph - first round)
9. Randolph (at Eastern Mennonite - first round)
10. Guilford (at Randolph-Macon - first round)